Breastfeeding Support and Lactation Consultants in Orange County
I can clearly remember the days of my breastfeeding journey. As wonderful as it was to have the opportunity to breastfeed both of my babies, I did find myself struggling a time or two and wished for support. I called the local hospital I delivered at but they said since my baby was 4 months old she was too old for support. I left messages with a few Lactation Consultants in Orange County and never heard back. I was struggling and I wanted to give up. Luckily, I did persevere and made it through the difficult days and went on to breastfeed both of my babies until 10&11 months old (and I supplemented formula here and there as needed along the way too because fed is definitely best). At the time, I didn’t have time to spend researching consultants. I needed help asap. If this sounds like you, you are in the right place. Millions of women share this experience with you, so know that you are not alone.
The concept of breastfeeding is interpreted as a natural, and therefore easy, process. Images of women and babies perfectly latching immediately after giving birth flood the internet, creating the facade that breastfeeding comes without effort or hardship.
As much as we may all wish this was true, any person who has or is planning to breastfeed knows that this is not the case. Most, if not all, women who breastfeed face a unique learning curve that can hardly prepare yourself for. I always say, “Pregnancy is long and feels like it is never going to end. The birth of your baby is the best part and the wildest ride while breastfeeding is truly the hardest and most isolating.” It is just you and your baby, trying to figure it out. But you aren’t alone, and Breastfeeding and Lactation Consultants in the Orange County area ARE there to support and help you.
In this article, we will discuss the benefits of breastfeeding and some of the societal pressures that come with that, the definition of a lactation consultant, reasons to utilize one, and 5 Orange County Lactation Consultants nearby and ready to help you.
What are the benefits of breastfeeding?
Breastfeeding is a unique and special way to not only nourish your baby but to bond with them.
Before we get into the incredible benefits of breastfeeding, we need to make it clear that this is not the only way to nourish or bond with your baby. Whether you end up formula feeding, pumping, spoon-feeding, syringe-feeding, or anything else, the most important thing is that you are doing all you can to feed and love your baby.
There is never any reason to feel shame about an inability or decision not to breastfeed. As wonderful as it may be in some situations, there are reasons that it may not be best for a family. Since it is such an intimate decision, never let the judgment or stigma from other people sway you away from doing what is best for you and your family. You are doing an amazing job!
With that said, breastfeeding is great! Here are some of the reasons why:
- It is great for feeding on the go
- It is completely free
- It is a wonderful way to ensure mom and baby are getting sufficient skin to skin time
- Breastmilk has unique nutrients and antibodies
- It can help protect against Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- It can offer protection against infections
Societal Pressures about Breastfeeding
If you have ever felt pressure to breastfeed, pressure to exclusively breastfeed, or pressure to make any parenting choice that didn’t feel 100% comfortable to you, please know that you are not alone.
Motherhood can be a lonely journey, especially when you are comparing yourself to the perfection of social media, but rest assured that parents from all over the world are facing the same challenges and struggles that you are.
If societal pressures are making your feeding journey more difficult than it needs to be, try the following tips:
- Educate yourself. Gaining knowledge about breastfeeding and other parenting topics will increase your confidence, making it easier to ignore other opinions.
- Take a break from social media. A lot of times, unsolicited advice comes from those who know very little about our personal situations.
- Find your circle. Make a list of people you trust, and turn to them in times of doubt. They will keep you grounded!
What is a lactation consultant?
A lactation consultant (LC) is a healthcare professional trained to help a mother successfully reach her breastfeeding goals (whatever they may be)! LCs are there to diagnose feeding issues that could not be diagnosed on their own, like tongue/lip ties or low milk supply.
If you are experiencing nipple pain (cracking/bleeding), that means that there is an issue with your baby’s latch and you should definitely reach out to a Lactation Consultant in Orange County. Pain while breastfeeding has been normalized but it actually indicates that something needs correcting. An LC will be able to diagnose (and potentially refer) you to whichever resources are needed to improve your situation.
5 Lactation Consultants
in Orange County
Orange County Breastfeeding Consultants are lactation consultants in Orange County that pride themselves on their affordable, in-home care options intended to be accessible to as many OC families as possible. Some other features include:
- Prenatal breastfeeding education
- Breastfeeding education specifically for mothers expecting multiples
- Breastfeeding education specifically for mothers of preemies
- Online lactations consultation
- Discounted services for active military families
Doulas of Orange County offers an array of services, including in-home and virtual breastfeeding support through their lactation consultants. If you are looking for more information on Doulas and Midwives, an article I posted a few weeks ago titled Top Orange County Midwives. Other features of Doulas of Orange County includes:
- Aid in “back to work” or school breastfeeding transitions
- A questionnaire to ensure a great match between client and consultant
- Breast pump training
- Recommendations for establishing milk supply
The OC Lactation Station has the goal of helping you to reach your breastfeeding postpartum goals. Some of their features include:
- Affordable prices that include free over-the-phone and email follow-ups for two weeks after the initial consultation.
- General postpartum support
- Support groups (some are free!)
- Monthly Intro-to-Breastfeeding class
You can receive professional clinical advice from Beyond Milk Lactation, with confidence that you will receive personal, one on one support. Some other features include:
- In-home consultation
- Prenatal consultations
- Back to work consultations
- Induced lactation consultations
Just Natural Breastfeeding Solutions are a Lactation Consultant in Orange County that is the complete package. Some of their features include:
- One-on-one support
- Support groups
- The consciousness of both mom and baby’s needs
- Telephone/online consultations
- Pumping and bottle feeding consultation availability
Lactation Consultants in Orange County are a fabulous tool for any breastfeeding parent. If you have not given birth yet, don’t be afraid to reach out to an LC in advance, as the likelihood is, you will benefit from being in contact with one in the early days of breastfeeding.
If you have an older baby that you still have feeding struggles with, never be afraid to reach out to Breastfeeding support and a Lactation Consultant in Orange County. It’s never too late!